Monday, May 21, 2007

The attractions of defeat

I've been meaning to transcribe this for awhile, and I finally got around to it. It's part of an interview from Pajamas Media's Blog Week in Review for 19 Apr 2007. Col. Austin Bay interviews Jeff Goldstein from Protein Wisdom. The whole podcast is worth listening to (it also includes Neo-Neocon), but this one little bit resonated with me quite a bit:
AB: The title of this topic [is] "The Attractions of Defeat." Why does the Left seem to enjoy defeat? Or is that an unfair question?

JG: Well, I'm not sure I agree with the premise. I don't think think that they love defeat, they just have a different definition of victory than maybe you and I do.

AB: What would be their definition of victory be, then, in this case?

JG: Any kind of hamstringing of US military power, for instance. Getting rid of the US as the lone hyperpower, promotes, I don't know, if you want to call it transnational progressivism or whatever you want to call the kind of world government movement. But either way, you see from progressives a desire for an erosion of sovereignty, and for the ascendancy of a kind of world government led by bureaucratic elites, international criminal courts, things like that. You know, the kinds of things where problems are solved by treaties that are signed over extensive hors d'oeuvres. So, solidifying domestic power, and making it impossible for the US to act muscularly on the world stage, I think, would by many progressives be seen as a victory.

Ooh yes. A One World Government, ruled by the types of people the currently populate the UN. Does that make you salivate for the future or what?

2 comments:

Pellegri said...

About the only part of that idea I like is the extensive hors d'oeuvres, and that's only if I'm getting any.

And, of course, when all that stuff about giving up large swathes of sovereignty in order to fit in with the global community, yadda yadda, whatever, doesn't work out and it all inevitably goes to pot, it will all be Someone Else's Fault. Probably that darn Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy or neocon fifth column or whatever for having insufficiently meek hearts and broken wills to offer on the altar of globalization.

Urrrgh. What's this country coming to?

Also hi there! You're in my bookmarks now. Cue maniacal giggle.

dicentra63 said...

You're in my bookmarks now.

Urp. Pressure's on.

Actually, I spend more time writing on PW than here or anywhere else. Though sometimes I have interesting stuff on my LiveJournal. That is, if you're interested in what will or won't grow in heavy clay, nitrogen-free soil.