Monday, March 26, 2007

Why I Haven't Been Blogging

No specific reason, really, but a combination of several, including the emotional devastation from stepping down off Effexor (I'm back on it now; it wasn't causing my fatigue), mental fatigue that is probably caused by the fact that my thyroid still isn't well-balanced, a bit of a slow news month (months?), news fatigue, business at work, and, probably most significantly, this article by Orson Scott Card about how civil wars get started.

He castigates both left and right for being unwilling to see the other side as composed of well-intentioned human beings (even if misguided), citing the vicious e-mails he gets from both sides. Which no doubt is true.

However.

Today I saw this on YouTube, a Heritage Foundation address by comedian Evan Sayet about "How Liberals Think" and how their way of thinking inevitably leads to them choosing what's wrong, evil, and unworkable every time. It has to do with their inability to exercise "discrimination," in the sense of looking at something and judging it good or evil or so-so. Ergo every judgment is the result of prejudice, and every policy a matter of power.

Makes me want to clean out the rifles, but I don't have any firearms. Look, OSC, the libs might not be evil at heart, but they are unthinking and incapable of rational thought, and they're teaching the kids how to think this way, too. I won't haul off and kill them, but there's got to be a way to fight this maladjusted way of thinking.

Tidbit of the day:

I was listening to podcasts over the weekend and a caller to NARN (Northern Alliance Radio Network) pointed out that March 16th is the feast day of St. Urho, patron saint of Finland.

His claim to fame? He drove the grasshoppers out of the vineyards, thus saving the grape crop.

Grapes. In Finland.

Think about it, won't you?

UPDATE: This post has a partial transcript of the video, if you don't have the time or the bandwidth to view it.

UPDATE II: About St. Urho? Never mind.

8 comments:

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Hi Dicentra:
I hope and pray you feel better soon.
Chronic fatigue can be debillitating, mentally and physically.

I concur with your post.
OSC would be correct if the Left held any truths.

The problem isn't that the Right can't see the other side (by Right I mean conservatives or classic liberals).

The problem is that the Left can't perceive truths, principles or standards.

The power of the left comes from ignorance, distortion, deception and lies.

"Grapes in Finland."

For Leftists that means sour grapes and no debates. Consensus is truth in their minds.

walt said...

Hi Dicentra,
My two cents worth:

I miss your posts over at One Cosmos. You write very clearly and coherently, and I enjoy your posts, and points of view. It's one thing to be able to recognize truth, but to also be able to articulate it is special, and you've got the touch.

P.S. Dicentras were among the plants we grew at my business. Now they grow wild in the woods around here.

dicentra63 said...

Thanks, Walt.

To be honest, I've been a bit intimidated over at One Cosmos because there are some anti-Mormon folks over there. Bob isn't interested in fighting over Mormonism's orthodoxy or lack thereof, but others can't seem to resist.

If people merely disagreed with Mormonism (the way Hugh Hewitt and Dennis Prager and Michael Medved do) but didn't impute sinister motives to us, that would be fine, but unfortunately, the venom among the anti-Mormons (as opposed to folks who merely disagree) is truly potent and not worth engaging with. It's similar in spirit to discussing Judaism with a Klan member or a Palestinian.

Also, I tried to post at OC yesterday but couldn't. Something wrong with blogger, I guess.

walt said...

Yes, I understand, and yesterday was a great example of what you say. I also stay 'w-a-y away from such fights - and, of course, am intimidated to say much about my own path.

I just wanted to compliment you on your writing and let you know that not everyone over there is "on patrol."

hoarhey said...

sijmkgg
"To be honest, I've been a bit intimidated over at One Cosmos because there are some anti-Mormon folks over there."

I noticed that also. You had posted something out of The Book of Mormon and someone wrote something that I thought was uncalled for. I had the urge to lay a little smackdown but didn't.
I also saw somweone on Protein Wisdom make an out of the blue comment about looking in a mirror. What was that about and why you?
No need to be intimidated though, (they can't reach through the screen) stand up and give as good as (actually better than) you get.
I'll back you up if need some help. It does look like some type of learned prejudice, I mean it's not like you come around to get in peoples faces or anything.
Plenty of trolls doing that.

hoarhey said...

Sorry,
The sijmkgg was the word veri.
Stupid cursor was in the wrong spot.
This blogspot has some of the jumpiest software.

dicentra63 said...

"I also saw someone on Protein Wisdom make an out of the blue comment about looking in a mirror. What was that about and why you?"

Oh, that was semanticleo. He and I have a tiny bit of a history, though I can't really remember what our last point of contention was about. (Such was my distress!)

He's the only person to troll my LiveJournal site, and for some reason he thought that my LJ userpix of Hugh Laurie were pictures of ME, and that I was some kind of insufferable narcissist. Let the projection begin!

I didn't respond to that jibe on PW because it was such a staggering non sequitur. Usually, trolls base their bile on something obliquely relevant, but this time?

No fun to kick a troll who's missing that many marbles. I just shook my head in wonder and decided not to deign to respond. Ignoring them hurts worse than striking back.

dicentra63 said...

You had posted something out of The Book of Mormon and someone wrote something that I thought was uncalled for. I had the urge to lay a little smackdown but didn't.

It's not worth it to get into those kinds of conflicts. We Mormons are so accustomed to that kind of bile from professed Christians that we're profoundly startled when someone--like Hugh Hewitt--manages to disagree with us and not hate our guts at the same time.

You can't teach people the truth (or tolerance, or any virtue) through contention, and people who hate our guts have reasons too deep for mere conversation to allay.

We like to think that we attract that kind of malice because we're working for The Right Guy, BTW, so it's almost a badge of honor to be insulted. You're known both by your friends and by your enemies.