Monday, February 05, 2007

Rage of Amanda

Blogging has been light, as my regular reader (hi mom!) must have noticed. The reason why is related to the subject of this post: the rantings of Amanda Marcotte.

I've had depression all my life. Just recently I stepped down off of Effexor (a notoriously difficult drug to stop because of the prolonged withdrawal symptoms), taking my last dose just before Christmas. This is the first time in maybe 12 years that I haven't been taking an SSRI- or SNRI-type drug. And now I'm remembering why I started them in the first place.

My head is full of expletives. Since stopping the drug, most of my inner dialog has consisted of me tearing into someone verbally, foul language and all. Either that or I'm arguing with an insufferable interlocutor who Just Doesn't Get It, and I'm forced to resort to Extreme Sarcasm and other not-so-subtle means of planting a rhetorical axe into the idiot's forehead. I get so agitated by these imaginary discussions that I sometimes start slamming doors and cussing out loud. The noise in there has made it hard for me to want to think hard enough to do any good blogging. (I've also had lots of stuff to do at work, which saps my blogging energy.)

It's all over the 'sphere that one of Pandagon's contributors, Amanda Marcotte, was selected by John Edwards to, uh, man his campaign blog.

Conservatives have been pointing out that Pandagon is filled to overflowing with Amanda's expletive-laden, rage-filled prose and that Edwards should have been wiser in his choice of "blogatrix."

That's a matter for others to discuss. What I've noticed is how perfectly the tone of her posts fits in with the rage that's inside my unmedicated head. Food for thought.
.

2 comments:

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

I hope you feel better soon, Dicentra.
My wife takes effexor, and a few other meds, for PTSD, and symptoms stemming from that.
One time she ran out, and had no refills.
We got it refilled in within 24 hours, but it was a very long 24 hours, and I had to remind myself that whatever she said wasn't personal.

I pray you experience that peace that surpasses all understanding.

dicentra63 said...

Thanks. I hope I get that peace, too.