Saturday, January 27, 2007

Signed It

I signed the NRSC Pledge that Hugh Hewitt launched. I was a little ambivalent about it, partly because of John Hawkins's objection that it puts the NRSC in a no-win situation (if they give in to this, they'll be deluged by other similar pledges on other hot-button issues), but I resolved the conflict thus:

If someone else comes up with another similar pledge with regard to any other issue besides the war, I won't sign it. It's that simple.

Because the successful prosecution of the war is too, too important to let it be held hostage by political considerations on the homefront. I understand the bind the NRSC is now in, but I want them to be thus bound, and I want them to take a cold, hard stand against what is clearly, clearly a cynical way for senators to have it both ways. If the surge fails, they can claim they were against it, and if the surge succeeds, they can claim that they didn't actually do anything to impede it.

Because as it's been pointed out, if they really think that the surge is a colossal mistake, they should do everything in their power to actually stop it. But they don't. They're just doing what they do best, covering their anatomy for the next election cycle.

I sent copies of the pledge to my two senators (and asked Hatch not to send a letter) and told them that I had signed it and that I meant it.

I had a dream last night where I was on an open field, trying to play soccer in the long, unmown grass (I was successful only in stopping the ball from going out of bounds a few times, which is much better than I'd ever be able to do in real life.) Then something in the sky caught my eye: a small plane was doing loop-de-loops close to the ground. As I watched in horror it sped past, went halfway into a loop, stalled, and did a horrific belly-flop into the ground, bursting into flames on impact.

When the plane sped past me I saw the face of its lone occupant: John McCain, smoking a cigarette. I knew immediately that the crash was no accident; he had stalled on purpose, and his death was a spectacular suicide.

I'm with Hugh Hewitt on this: John McCain just lost every ounce of credibility he ever had on the war. One day after confirming Petreaus, one day after Petreaus made it crystal clear that these non-binding resolutions were detrimental to the war effort, and McCain is back to being his beloved "maverick" self, long-term consequences be damned, and playing footsie with the Dems.

And yet another politician goes into the Narcissistic Personality Disorder column. Although it would be easier to put them all into that column by default, then let them out when they do something to rule out NPD. Like ignore polls, or do what's right despite the consequences to their popularity, or otherwise behave like statesmen.

No comments: