Tuesday, August 22, 2006

August 22

It's the end of the world, and I feel fine.

That comes from a song, but I don't know which one. And I'm alive to type it because Amadinejad didn't destroy the world today as his answer to the UN about discontinuing Iran's uranium enrichment program. Some bloggers noted that Ahmadinejad got awfully specific about when he would answer. The UN gave him until the end of August, and he insisted on the 22nd. Which on the Islamic calendar is the date they celebrate Mohammed's ascension to heaven on the back of a winged horse. So people thought maybe he would "light up the sky over Jerusalem" with a nuke as a dramatic answer.

But instead, they handed over an envelope with their answer inside: thumb to nose, fingers wiggling, essentially.

And last Sunday, Doug Miller passed away. I didn't watch his program often because I'm not into the kind of outdoors activities that he likes (fishing, hunting, RVing, etc.), but I still thought he was quite the character. Loved his voice and his enthusiasm. How can Utah be Utah without the Doug Miller show?

No comments: